Thursday, September 5

Welcome Back! August 27, 2019



Bette’s Class
Welcome Back to School!
August 27, 2019

Dear Families,

     I hope you have had a great summer! I am so excited about seeing my returning families and getting to know new families and students; sharing our summer stories!
     During the first weeks we pay special attention to developing a sense of community as we establish our class routines and get to know one another.
     It can be a positive ritual to prepare for the school year gathering supplies and setting up new routines after the summer. I recommend:
ü  A backpack or bag for carrying notes papers and lunches.
ü  A book of interest for reading time.
As far as other supplies go, we have a classroom supply of writing utensils and paper. Pencils, colored pencils, markers and pens are fine to bring, but not required. A labeled pencil box can help a student keep writing utensils in order. With the free movement in class, pencils can travel a lot!
     We provide good quality spiral notebooks as “Learner Logs” for general notes, practice and reflection. In addition, we supply Composition notebooks as “Writer’s Notebooks” for collecting ideas and experimenting with writing prompts. You and your child may choose to pick up a special one to bring in if you wish. Ownership is important for a successful “Writer’s Notebook”.           
     Well-rested children who eat a good breakfast and make it to school on time will be their best at school. First bell is 8:14 and class begins at 8:19. Rest, nourishment and being on time seem simple, but they really support a child in getting through the school day happily and productively!
You can help the kids keep their motors running during class by providing snacks. Our lunchtime can tend to be late, roughly 5 hours since breakfast!! Healthy snacks include fresh cut fruits and vegetables, crackers, cheese, yogurt, pretzels. Once a month per family helps to keep our cupboard stocked. We can use snacks beginning on the first day! It’s best to be nut free until we learn more about possible allergies. Please let me know about any serious allergies or special needs.
     Please help me to know where each child is going after school. It’s helpful if you send the info to me on a card the first day. It’s also a great idea to keep a copy of your child’s after school schedule in his or her backpack.         
     The beginning of the year there will be a different daily routine. I spent the summer dealing with surgery on my neck. My fantasy was to complete the process before school starts. Surgery was successful, but there is follow up continuing for the month of September.  At the suggestion of my doctor I am requesting part time leave. I will be able to get the class started on a good foot while still taking care of myself. I will be teaching in the mornings and I will have a guest teacher for the afternoon. Retired Open teacher Rick Hall has agreed to help out. Rick’s a lot of fun, and he and I will be able to work as a team to make it the best possible experience for your child. I did not write about it in my annual Kids Welcome letter as I don’t want to introduce new anxiety about coming to school. I appreciate your support in promoting a positive attitude about this unique situation.
      
                                                     Bette Diem
                                                     Room 237
                                                     diem@aaps.k12.mi.us




Bette’s Class Notes                                                      August 27, 2019

Hi kids!                                                                                                                    
            I hope you have had a great summer! I am getting ready for a new school year and looking forward to seeing you.
            We’ll start the year with some fun games and good stories as we get to know each other and learn new school day routines.  I hope you are excited about starting a new grade, with new friends and old friends. 
            Bring a book you are reading on the first day of school. Also bring one item to share that represents summer to you. Think of 3 things you can say about your item and how it connects to summer. Well share these over the first week as we get to know one another.
            We will be using Learning Logs and Writer’s Notebooks. I will give them to you when you come to school. If you like, you could bring your own special journal to use.
Do you like mazes? Here are some, just for fun.
           

Enjoy your last days of vacation and start looking forward to an exciting school year!
                        See you soon!
                                             Bette