Monday, October 14

Conferences and updates

Dear Families,



I am starting conferences this Wednesday. To those who were signed up for conferences last week, I thank you for understanding my need to reschedule. I am attaching a link to a google doc sign up for conferences. I entered the families who signed up at Curriculum Night and added Tuesday, October 29, 4-7pm. You can add your name to any open time. If none of these times work for you, shoot me an email and I will work with you to find a time. sign up for conferences



The conferences are designed to include the student.  They are scheduled for 20 minutes.  We will use this time to help set goals with your child. I am attaching a goal sheet for you to use. I will assist students in completing a form with a similar format in class.  Students will also be filling out forms designed to help them reflect on their school work in reading, writing and math as well as their interests. Students should attend the conference with you so they can participate in setting their own goals with our support. Some areas to consider include Reading, Writing, Mathematics, Listening, Speaking, Science, Social Studies, Social Development or Work Habits. 



I am also including a “Parent Homework” assignment.  When you find time, jot down a few things that you think will help me to know your child better. It helps me to get to know your child and how to best help him/her grow. Please note: “No due Date – No Page Limit.”



Thanks to those of you who have been sending in snacks. Rayna created a snack list for us, and I am just now getting around to sharing it with you. Sorry about that, and thank you Rayna. Bette's class snack schedule



Last week the kids worked on researching different animals that migrate. Rick had created research guides for them and they used his forms to take notes. In class they created posters, mini-books or “trading cards” with the information. This week they are sharing what they learned with the class.

Last week we made butterflies to send to Mexico for an activity called Symbolic Monarch Butterfly Migration using a website called “Journey North.”  Our butterflies will be sent to students in Mexico, where the Monarch butterflies migrate for the winter. Fun Fact: It takes 4 generations for the monarchs to complete the migration cycle.

Our butterflies didn’t fare so well, but we have one surviving chrysalis. We're hoping it will emerge.

I am also adding a link to the Wednesday Packet. There's quite a bit of important information in it