Tuesday, January 29

Update from Bette

Dear Families,

Hope you are all managing the cold wintery weather, not to mention the alternate arrangements for child care when school is closed. Gotta love it. Last week's snow days took me by surprise. Now I long to get on with our regularly scheduled program. Even so, tomorrow's closed and Thursday is in question with the forecasted temperatures. Here is a link to the Winter Weather Guidelines for AAPS. I think the chart to show how wind chills are determined is cool. I went over it with the kids today as a teachable moment for how to read tables.

The school closings have messed up our focus study schedule as well. Check messages form Karen Siegel  to keep abreast of that.

Alexis, our music teacher, is trying to prepare the kids for the Coffee House coming Feb 7 at 6. She only has our class one day a week. Today she handed out the recorders that were ordered so kids could practice at home.(lucky you).

It's time to prepare for the upcoming Science Fair, scheduled for February 28. I spoke with the kids about it today. Next time we have school I will have "I-Search" contracts for the kids to fill out. The I-Search this time will be science or maker fair related and we will display them at the science fair.  VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR VOLUNTEER SIGN UP, STUDENT ENTRY FORMS, AND HANDBOOK: Science Fair Handbook and volunteer link

In October I tried to establish dates for Camp Dainava. We have a slight complication. The Camp is upgrading their bathrooms, which is great news. However, the completion date is May 1.  My contact for camp rental is worried about the possibility of construction not meeting its deadline, so she asked if we could wait until April to secure a date. I was looking for camp dates May 8-10, May 15-17 or May 22-May 24. I usually like to give families more lead time for making arrangements to be available for camp. If anyone is skilled at creating online surveys I'd like to get feedback from families about this. Let me know.

The salmon are doing great. We're still working on multiplication and division. This will be ongoing, but we will start geometry when we reconvene.

Bette